Gabrielle Lamb Residency
Ballet Forward will present a residency with Gabrielle Lamb, Director, Choreographer and Founder of Pigeonwing Dance
*All classes and workshops are open to intermediate and advanced students. If you are not already in the course indicated (below) sign up in advance is required. Click here for signup. Classes are in the Ark unless otherwise noted.
- 11:45-1:15 (Ballet III course time) –Master class/workshop
- 1:25-2:40 Choreographic (and/or repertory) workshop
- 2:45 -3:30 Roundtable discussion with Q&A. Crowell 108
- 10:05-11:35 (Ballet IV course time) Master class/workshop
- 11:45- 1:15p Choreographic (and/or repertory) workshop
Gabrielle Lamb, winner of a 2014 Princess Grace Award for Choreography, is a New York City-based choreographer and dancer. Born in Savannah, Georgia, she was trained at the Boston Ballet School and joined Les Grands Ballets Canadiens de Montreal in 2000, earning her soloist promotion in 2003. At the invitation of choreographer Christopher Wheeldon she moved to New York City in 2009 to join his company Morphoses.
Ms. Lamb, who began choreographing in 2005, has won the National Choreographic Competition of Hubbard Street Dance Chicago in 2009 as well as, in 2013, First Prizes in Milwaukee Ballet’s Genesis International Choreographic Competition and Western Michigan University’s National Choreographic Competition. She was named winner of the Banff Centre’s 2014-15 Clifford E. Lee Choreography Award; and in 2014 she was honored with a New York City Center Choreography Fellowship.
Her movement style and theatricality have been profoundly influenced by the choreographers whose work she danced during her performing career, including: George Balanchine, Jiri Kylian, Mats Ek, Ohad Naharin, Nacho Duato, and Shen Wei. Since moving to New York she has also created leading roles in new works by contemporary artists such as: Pontus Lidberg, Luca Veggetti, Matthew Neenan, Adam Barruch, Shannon Gillen, and Emery Lecrone.
She is also self-taught video artist and animator. Her choreography and dance films have been presented by, among others:
- Canada’s Royal Winnipeg Ballet
- The Banff Centre (Alberta, Canada)
- Sacramento Ballet
- Ballet Austin
- Hubbard Street 2
- Milwaukee Ballet
- The Joffrey Ballet Concert Group (NYC)
- Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival
- Ballet Memphis
- SALT Contemporary Dance (Utah)
- Motion Dance+Theater (Asheville, NC)
- SUNY Purchase Conservatory of Dance (Class of 2015 Fall Concert)
- Western Michigan University
- The 92nd Street Y
- The Dance Theatre of Harlem
- Les Grands Ballets Canadiens de Montreal
- Dance on Camera Festival at Lincoln Center
- Dance Camera West (Los Angeles)
- ReelDance Australia
- The Bravo and ARTV networks of Canada
- New Museum of Contemporary Art (NYC)
- Festival du Nouveau Cinema (Montreal)
- The American Dance Festival
- Festival VideoDanzaBA (Buenos Aires)
About Pigeon Dance company: https://www.pigeonwingdance.com
This workshop series is offered in conjunction with the Ballet Forward Initiative, and is made possible in part by the Duke University Dance Program and the Mary Duke Biddle Foundation.
Photo by: Charles Roussel