Thomas F. DeFrantz Presents Talk at the International Colloquium
The International Colloquium: The Contemporary African in the Performing Arts - Theoretical, Poetical and Pedagogic Perspectives
The central aim of the colloquium is to increase the dialogues among artists, researchers and educators who are dedicated to the studies of contemporary afro-Brazilian and african diasporic cultures and their insertions with the field of Performing Arts. This international meeting intends to share and compare different approaches and research methodologies, theoretical perspectives, political engagements and poetic creations. The event will feature conferences, round tables, work groups, and film screenings.
From 03/31 to 04/04 at the Art Institute of UNESP - São Paulo Campus - SP
Rua Dr. Bento Teobaldo, 271 - Barra Funda - CEP: 01140-070
(Near Barra Funda subway station)
1st. Day 03/31
08:00h a.m. to 09:30h a.m. - Hall
09:30h a.m. to 10:00h a.m. - Maria de Lourdes Sekeff Theater
03/31 - 10:00h a.m. to 12:00h a.m.- Maria de Lourdes Sekeff Theater
Thomas DeFrantz - PhD, Professor, Dance Program, Duke University- Durham, NC, USA
Title: "Black beauty: contemporary performance, Africanist aesthetics"
04/01 - 9:00h a.m. to 11:30h a.m. - Maria de Lourdes Sekeff Theater
Yvonne Daniel - Professor Emerita of Dance and Afro-American Studies at Smith College, Northampton, MA.
Title: "African dancing body power"
04/02 - 9:00h a.m. to 11:30h a.m. - Maria de Lourdes Sekeff Theater
Sylvie Chalaye - PhD, Professor at University of Paris - Sorbonne Nouvelle.
Tittle:"The "quilombism" of the african-contemporary dramaturgy" ("Le marronnage des dramaturgies afro-contemporaines")
B- Round Tables
03/31 - 01:30h p.m. to 04:00h p.m. - Maria de Lourdes Sekeff Theater
Table 1 - Pedagogy: Activities and Knowlodges in dialog, political-institutional challenges.
1. Kiusam Regina de Oliveira- PhD, Researcher in Education, Faculty of Education of University of São Paulo and Professor of the municipal schools of the city of São Paulo.
Title: "The Pedagogy of the Ancestry I Know from Up Close: female empowerment, the enchantment of bodies and poetic embodiment."
2. Amélia Vitória de Souza Conrado- PhD, Researcher in Education, Federal University of Bahia, UFBA.
Title: "Afro-Brazilian Scenic Research: analysis and challenges through the choreographic construction Maria Meia Noite at Salvador-Bahia"
3. Henrique Antunes Cunha Jr. - Full Professor in Engineering, USP, Professor at the Federal University of Ceará, UFC.
Title: "Aesthetics of African descent pedagogies"
4. Nadir Nóbrega Oliveira. PhD, Professor at the Federal University of Alagoas. UFAL
Title: "Resistance and Existance of the afro-bahian blocks and of the Bull (Boi) of Carnival from Alagoas"
Mediation: Yascara Donizeti Mancini
2nd. Day 04/01 - 01:30h p.m. to 04:00h p.m.- Maria de Lourdes Sekeff Theater
Table 2 - Afrocentrism, diaspora, policies and identities: strategies to blacken the theory.
1. Julio Tavares - PhD, Professor at the Federal Fluminense University- Antrophology Department.
Títle: " Ginga (Capoeira moves) as an organic and aesthetic thought : cognitive policies and the ontological project of the African Diaspora"
2. Paulo Dias- Ethnomusicologist, President of the Cultural Association Cachuera ! (SP)
Títle: "The place of the speech - Conversations among the Angolan ondjango and the Brazilian jongo"
3. Salomão Jovino da Silva - PhD, Researcher in History, PUC-SP and Professor of the municipal schools of the city of São Paulo.
Títle: "Black Sampa: Urbanity, Periphery, Counterculture, and anti-racism."
4. Maria Antonieta Antonacci - Professor of the History Graduate School Department at PUC-SP and Coordinator of the Center for African and Diasporic Cultural Studies at PUC-SP - CECAFRO)
Title: "The art of memory of the diaspora´s bodies: "conditions of enunciation" in performative pedagogy".
Mediation: Deise Santos Brito
3rd. Day 04/02- 01:30h p.m. to 04:30h p.m.- Maria de Lourdes Sekeff Theater
Table 3 - Black Performance: mediations between the traditional culture and the contemporary scenic creation
1. Nefertiti Burton- PhD, Professor at Louisville University, Kentucky, USA
Title: "Staging Yoruba Orature for Secular Audiences"
2. Patrick Acogny- PhD, Professor at the Ethnoscenology Laboratory of the University of Paris XVIII, Sait-Denis, França.
Title: "From Tradition to Contemporary Forms: The experience of the Ecole des sables"
3. Grácia Maria Navarro- PhD, Professor of the Department of Performing Arts, Unicamp.
Title: "At the Crossroads"
4. Inaicyra Falcão dos Santos- Professor of the Department of Body Arts, UNICAMP.
Title: "Body and Ancestry: African - Brazilian Culture and Contemporary Scenic Creation"
Mediation: Fernando Marques C. Ferraz
C- Work Groups (WG)
03/31 and 04/01 from 04:30h p.m. to 07:00h p.m.
1. WG- MYTH IMAGE AND SCENE - AFRO CONTEMPORARY EXPERIENCES AND REFLECTIONS
PhD. Prof. Luciana Lyra (UNESP/UFRN)
PhD. Prof. Alexandre Nunes (UFG)
2. WG - THE BODY AT CAPOEIRA
PhD. Prof. Renata de Lima Silva (UFG)
PhD. Prof. Eusébio Lobo da Silva (Unicamp)
PhD. Prof. Daniela Maria Amoroso (UFBA)
3. WG - THE BLACK EXPERIENCE IN THE BRAZILIAN THEATER
PhD. Prof.Julio Moracen Naranjo - UNIFESP
PhD. Prof. Evani Lima - PPGAC-UFBA/CAPES
4. WG- PEDAGOGY AND AFRICANITIES
Ms. Juliana de Souza Mavoungou Yade-UFC (doctoral student)
Ms. Márcia Cristina Américo - UNIMEP (doctoral student)
5. WG- DANCE AND BLACK DIASPORA
Mr. Fernando M. C. Ferraz -UNESP (doctoral student)
Ms Luciane da Silva- UNICAMP ( doctoral student)
6. WG- RESONANT AND PERFORMATIC WRITINGS OF DIASPORIC CULTURES
Maria Antonieta Martines Antonacci (PUC/SP)
Danilo Luiz Marques (São Paulo State Department of Education)
Liliane Pereira Braga (São Paulo City Department of Education)
7. WG - MOVING IMAGES, NARRATIVES AND BLACK PERFORMANCES
PhD. Prof. Janaína Damaceno (UFSCar) email@example.com
PhD. Prof. Janaína Oliveira (IFRJ) firstname.lastname@example.org <mailto:email@example.com>
8. WG - CONTEMPORARY AND POPULAR CULTURE: CROSSINGS - DANCE, ARTS AND EDUCATION.
Rosane de Assis Barbosa - Master in Social Science - UFRRJ / Professor at the Faculty and School of Dance Angel Vianna - RJ
Gessica da Silva Justino - UFRJ. Graduate Student in Dance/UFRJ
Tulani Pereira da Silva - Postgraduate in Artistic Languages, Culture and Education - IFRJ
D- Films /Lectures with the directors and producers
03/31 - 07:30h p.m. to 09:30h p.m. - Maria de Lourdes Sekeff Theater
Movement (r) evolution África - An art form history in four acts - directed and produced by Joan Frosch. (65 min)
Title of the lecture: The "ridiculousness of art" and the Work of choreographer Faustin Linyekula
04/01- 07:30h p.m. to 09:30h p.m. - Maria de Lourdes Sekeff Theater
A dance movie - directed and produced by Carmen Luz
Title of the lecture: Dance and listening - About the game of (in) visibility
04/02- 05:00h p.m. to 06:30h p.m. - Maria de Lourdes Sekeff Theater
Barefooted ballet - Mercedes Baptista´s Afro Dance- directed and produced by Marianna F. M. Monteiro and Lilian Solá Santiago (53min)
Title of Marianna F.M. Monteiro´s lecture: Afro Dance, The first Brazilian modern dance
Títle of Lilian Solá Santiago´s lecture: Black screen- The black body in the Brazilian cinema
E- Evaluation: future perspectives of the colloquium
06:30h p.m. to 08:00h p.m.- Maria de Lourdes Sekeff Theater
F- Closing/ party
Day 04/03 at 08:00h p.m.- In front of Circo da Barra
Ngoma, terreiro sudestino
Umbigada drumming and Jongo (Cachuera! group)
Days 04/03 and 04/04- Reynúncio Lima Theater
From 9:00h a.m. to 12:00h p.m.
1. If u want come
Propositor- Rui Moreira, dancer e choreographer, culture researcher, Cia SeráQuê? , MG.
From 02:00h p.m. to 05:00h p.m.
2. Orikis: dramaturgy and incarnation of yoruba´s tradition in the theater
Propositor: Nefertiti Burton- PhD, Professor, Louisville University, Kentucky, USA.