We are interested in your technical, performance and choreographic abilities. That's why we ask applicants to submit a sample of their artistic works uploaded through the Common Application’s online SlideRoom portal, as part of the admissions process. Keep in mind that this is just a way for us to get to know you and the level of your artistic expertise; your video will not in any way adversely impact your admission to Duke. If you submit artistic material, you will not be required to major in this area, but you should have an interest in pursuing it at Duke. If you have any questions please feel free to contact the Dance Program's Director of Undergraduate Studies and the Assistant to the Director of Undergraduate Studies.
- Length: 10 minutes is ideal. You may excerpt sections of works in performance and/or rehearsal. The work you want viewed should be edited together in succession within the 10 minute video.
- Appropriate Material of Inclusion: If you are proficient in more than one style of dance, submit a supplement for each style separately. You may submit up to 10 minutes per style. Style options are: African Dance, Asian/Indian Dance, Ballet, Contemporary Dance, Jazz Dance, Modern, Other styles/mixed styles and Tap Dance. Choreography in each of these areas is welcome. Excerpts from performances or rehearsals, or excerpts of class and studio work are fine. Solo or small group work is ideal. If you must include a large group dance, make sure you can be easily identified by means of highlighting or an arrow, or a description of your place on stage.
- Submit your digital media through the Common Application's online SlideRoom portal. Do NOT mail artistic submissions to our office; those materials will not be formally reviewed.
- Written Description of Your Work: In the FORMS section of SlideRoom, please include the following information:
- Title of works, choreographer, and music/sound accompaniment
- Date of the recording
- Length of the pieces/excerpt
- If it is an ensemble, a description of your place on stage
- Any other information you feel is pertinent